Today, Internet access is implemented on many devices, and the TV is no exception. The easiest way to connect to the Network is new models of TV receivers — they have built-in Wi-Fi modules, and the setup is intuitive. However, you can also connect to the Internet on older devices using a cable connection and special external smart set-top boxes. Read more about the different ways to access the Web through a TV — in the material below.
Connection in new TV models
The vast majority of modern television receivers already have built-in features to join the world wide web. All that is required of you is to properly connect the device and set up the Internet. In practice, there are 2 ways to connect:
- wireless connection of the device via Wi-Fi;
- connection using a network cable.
Moreover, the second option can be implemented both with the use of a router (router) and without it.
Connecting through a router
Some TV models are not equipped with a Wi-Fi receiver, but they can access the network, or they need synchronization to update the firmware. In this case, they are equipped with an RJ-45 connector, and for connection you will need standard LAN cable. You can ask him to compress it in a computer equipment store to the required length, or buy a ready-made version. One end plugs into one of the router’s yellow outputs. The second must be inserted into a similar connector on the TV (RJ-45).
After connecting, a window will appear on the screen with a notification that an Internet connection has occurred. It disappears on its own, and no additional settings are required — you can immediately use SmartTV or update the firmware.
If a router is not provided in the house, and the Internet is needed only on TV, then the Internet cable laid in the apartment by the provider should be immediately inserted into the TV in the same way as described in the previous paragraph.
If the provider uses dynamic IP address technology, synchronization will be performed automatically. If the technology uses static IP address, then after connecting, you will have to open the “Network” item in the TV settings and select “Manual setup”. Next, we prescribe the parameters of our connection — IP address and DNS. This information can be obtained from the provider or searched in the service agreement — as a rule, a sheet with settings is issued along with it.
Important! If the connection is using PPPoE, then it is very likely that this type of connection will not work directly. In this case, buying a router saves. Even the most budget option is suitable, the price of which today varies within a thousand rubles.
Some providers do linking the connection to the MAC address of the device. In this case, having a PC connected to the Internet in the house, it will not work to connect the TV to it. It is necessary to contact the provider and ask to change the associated MAC address to the one assigned to the TV. To do this, enter its settings and find the «device support» or «product information» tab. The list of information will also include the MAC address. We rewrite it and inform the provider, after changing the address, we connect using the above methods.
How to connect a modern TV to the Internet via cable was discussed above. But this is not the only way to get the opportunity to use the Internet on TV. You can do without laying wires around the apartment, using a wireless connection. To connect the TV to the Internet (wireless) through a router, you will need a minimum of actions, provided that the device has a Wi-Fi module. Before you make the settings, you will need to prepare information about the name of your network and remember the password for it. Then, taking the remote control in your hands, with the device turned on, do the following:
- Turn on the device and go to the menu by pressing the desired button.
- Next, in the settings you need to select «Network» and «Network settings».
- After that, select the type of connection, in this case — wireless.
- The machine will start searching for the Web environment, and after a short period of time it will display a list of it (it will display, in addition to yours, the network of neighbors if you live in an apartment building).
- Select your network, and after pressing the “OK” button on the remote control, you will need to enter the password in the appropriate line. After a moment, a window will appear with a message that the connection has been established and the inclusion was successful. If it doesn’t, find out why the TV won’t connect to Wi-Fi.
If there is no Wi-Fi module
How to connect a TV without a built-in module to the Internet via wifi, but with the ability to use an external device? It’s very simple — you need to purchase wifi adapter and connect it to the USB port of your TV set.
Next, entering the settings, select «Network», «Network settings: wireless» and press the OK button located on the remote control. You will see a menu in which we select the desired connection.
- “Setting from the list of access points (AP)” — is selected if you have authorization data and information about the name of your home network.
- “Easy setup (WPS button mode)” — applies if your router supports the ability to automatic connection setup to wifi. This method can be called the simplest, since all that is required of you is to select this item and press the “WPS” button (hold it for a few seconds) located on the router. The setting will take place automatically.
- “Network setup (Ad hoc)” is intended if you want to set up a connection to your computer without accessing the Internet, that is local.
Settings for Smart TV
How to connect the Internet in different ways on a TV is now clear, but to fully use the capabilities of Smart TV, just one connection to the World Wide Web is not enough.
On LG TVs
It is recommended to pass app store registration LG. Without registration, you will not be able to install the necessary applications, you will not be able to use all the functionality of smart TV. The registration procedure is very simple:
- the first thing to do is go to the main menu;
- in the upper right corner of the screen there will be a button for logging into your account — click on it;
- in the next window, you can enter your authorization data (if you have already registered) or continue creating an account on LG Apps — the “Register” button;
- then you need to come up with a password and enter it together with the email address in the form that opens, then click on “Register”;
- after that, check your email using a smartphone or via a computer and confirm the creation of a profile;
- to log into your account, click on “Login” in the upper corner;
- enter registration data, check the box next to “Stay signed in” (the next time you will not be asked to enter data);
- answer “No” in the window that appears asking you to enter additional information;
After that, your TV receiver can be considered fully configured for watching movies, TV channels, listening to the radio. Now you can install various widgets and programs from the company’s store, including games.
In Samsung Smart TV
To connect the Internet, cable or wireless, to a Samsung TV, you can use the instructions for the same LG device. The connection steps and the diagram are not much different, except for the names of the items in the menu (the meaning is easy to guess about the purpose of the buttons). But there are some differences in setting up Smart TV on a Samsung TV:
- After connecting to the Internet, try to go to Smart Hub menuby pressing the corresponding button on the remote control;
- To check if the Internet and Samsung smart TV are working, you need to run some application, for example, YouTube.
If you managed to connect the Samsung TV to the Internet and everything worked, then you can relax and install various kinds of applications from Samsung Apps, and enjoy watching videos and Internet TV.
The entire connection procedure for the TV set SONY BRAVIA (Sony Bravia) is similar to that described above for other brands of devices. But connecting smart TV to the Internet and setting up Smart functions is somewhat different from those discussed.
- To begin, press the key on the remote that says “Home”.
- Click on the button with the image of a suitcase in the corner of the window and go to the «Settings» menu.
- In this window, select the “Network” item.
- Now click on “Update Internet Content”.
- A connection to the Sony Entertainment Network server will start to configure the services that are currently available.
- After finishing the setup, the Bravia will display a message recommending that you return to the main menu by pressing the “Home” button. But you need to ignore this suggestion and click to the «SEN» button, after which you will see a list of channels with videos and a list of applications, both foreign and Russian.
- The Sony device may take some time to update. By clicking on the “+” or “All Apps” sign, you will see the entire list.
- Having decided on the choice of content, click «Open», after which the broadcast will begin.
- The TV channel you like can be added to the quick access list by clicking on “Add to my applications”. The list appears initially when you press the “SEN” key.
Connecting to older TVs
Owners of old models of television receivers should not be upset: it is quite possible to connect it to the Internet. The best solution would be to purchase a special smart set-top box that runs on the Android OS, which connects to a regular TV via HDMI or AV connectors (tulips). Connecting the set-top box is very simple — everything is done exactly as if you wanted to connect a TV tuner.
In fact, this is the same tablet, only instead of a screen it uses a TV. By connecting it to the device, you can now watch Internet TV, watch videos from websites, that is, do everything that you can do on a tablet. All settings are made in the console menu. The procedure differs depending on the model and is prescribed in the instruction manual.
Advice! You can connect a full keyboard and mouse to the set-top box for easy navigation and comfortable surfing through the pages on the World Wide Web.