If you have purchased a wall-mounted TV, then the question arises: how to hang it on the wall correctly? In general, there is nothing complicated in the installation of the device. If you know how to use a drill, hammer and screwdriver, then you can quite cope with this on your own. In order to mount a Samsung TV receiver or any other on the wall, special devices are used: properly hang the TV on special devices — brackets. They vary in shape, size and functionality.
Advantages and disadvantages of hanging TV on the wall
If after the purchase you cannot decide where to mark the TV, then think about the advantages of hanging it on the wall.
- Aesthetics. Flat modern TV on the wall will decorate any room interior. It will not look out of place in almost any style of decorating a room, and in some cases can set the tone for the entire room.
- Availability. If there is no suitable furniture in the room where the TV will be located, then buying a bracket will cost significantly less than a cabinet.
- Safety. If there are animals or children in the apartment, then it will be much more difficult for them to drop a TV screwed to the wall than standing on a cabinet or table.
Like any solution, hanging a TV on the wall has its downsides.
- Putting a TV on a cabinet or table is much easier than hanging it on the wall. In the second case, you will need a tool and the skill to work with it.
- Not every wall is suitable — it must be free from heating equipment.
- If it is decided to dismantle the TV, the mounting holes will have to be sealed.
Types of brackets
In order to choose the right bracket for a Samsung, LG or any other TV, you should study the characteristics of the device. It is important to know its diagonal, weight and VESA standard. This is the generally accepted distance between mounting holes, predetermined by the manufacturer. It varies from 10 * 10 to 40 * 40 cm. Based on this, a bracket is selected. They differ in the material of execution, the number of knees (their absence), a rotary / inclined / fixed platform, designed for different diagonals.
Important! Most brackets can withstand weight up to 25 kg, and it is extremely difficult to find a modern TV with a weight greater than this value. However, to make sure that the mass of the device is still acceptable, it will not be superfluous.
Let’s take a closer look at the design of the brackets.
- fixed. Allows you to securely fix the device, but without the possibility of its rotation or tilt. This TV mount has a minimum of holes and is easy to install.
- Inclined. Often used when mounting a television set high above eye level. To ensure comfortable viewing of TV, the mount allows you to tilt the panel at the desired angle.
- Tilt-swivel. This mount is very convenient if you plan to mount the TV on the wall under the ceiling. Due to the rotary mechanism, TV viewing is possible from anywhere in the room.
How to hang a TV
Before you hang the TV on the wall with your own hands, it is important to determine the height of the unit. According to existing standards, the bottom edge of the device should be at a distance of 0.7 m to 1 m from the floor. If the telly will be bought in the kitchen, then placing it under the ceiling will be the best option. However, there are other options for placing a TV in the kitchen.
Don’t worry if the right place is a little above eye level — adjust tilt possible with the help of a tilt-and-swivel bracket. It is best to choose this one: it allows you to adjust the position of the device for maximum viewing comfort, and there will be room for wires in the back.
Important installation rules
Should start with wall study. It can be concrete, brick, wood or plasterboard. You shouldn’t mount TV on the last option — with a probability of 99% after a while it will tear out a piece of such a wall and break. Knowing the material from which the wall is made is also necessary to understand which drill will be needed to make holes. But you don’t need to worry about fasteners in order to fasten the bracket to the wall, and the TV to it — everything you need is included in the suspension and TV set.
Important! When determining the location of the bracket on the wall, consider the presence of hidden wiring and the distance to the outlets. Also, do not forget that there should not be heaters nearby.
Hanging TV on the bracket
In order not to rack your brains on how to hang a TV on a wall with a bracket, you will need to follow simple steps.
- Mark the points for drilling on the wall. To do this, use a tape measure to measure the distance from the holes for the bracket on the back of the device to its bottom edge. Then mark from the floor 1 m + the value obtained from the measurements on the TV. You will get the height at which they will drill bottom mounting holes. Draw a line through this point using a level.
- Now attach the mount (wall) for the TV so that the drawn line passes through the bottom holes of the hanger.
- The next step is to draw through the holes in the mounting places for drilling.
- Before installing the TV bracket on the prepared wall, in some cases it is necessary to check the installation site for concealed wiring (with the help of a special device). Using a drill (or better, a puncher), drill holes according to the marks made.
- Hammer the dowels into the holes formed with a hammer.
- Attach the bracket to the wall and tighten the bolts (in some cases, self-tapping screws) into the hammered dowels with a wrench.
- After the bracket is securely fastened, you can, using third-party assistance, bring the device to the mount and hang it on it.
Hanging TV without bracket
Flat TV panels with a diagonal of 42ʺ (and especially large devices) are ready for installation without the use of special fasteners. Device manufacturers have already provided for how to hang the TV on the wall without a bracket. To do this, on the back of the device did special «ears» (grooves). Therefore, installing a TV with “ears” is not much different from hanging a picture or a mirror. The main thing is that the fasteners correspond to the weight of the device. If the ears for hanging are not provided, then you can make the fasteners with your own hands.
How to hide wires
Having decided to hang the TV on the wall, the user will certainly think about how to hide the wires. Obviously, if they just stick out, then all the beauty of this installation method is nullified.
Even at the repair stage, it is worth considering the place where the TV will stand in the future. It is advisable to place an electrical outlet and a socket for the antenna at the back. It is better to do several of the first: you may have to connect a smart set-top box with external power or other equipment. If there is a cabinet under the TV, then some of the sockets can be mounted at a distance of 30 cm from the floor and a couple more directly behind the screen.
Advice! It is quite difficult to predict in advance what exactly will be connected to the TV, so ideally you should take care of having 5-6 outlets. This amount is certainly enough for any devices that may be needed in the future.
If the repair has already been done, then it will come to the rescue box for wires. It can be neutral white or decorated in the colors of the interior. If there is a window nearby, then the cable can be hidden behind a curtain, the socket can be raised to the ceiling, and the wire to it can be put behind the eaves.
Below are interesting ideas for decorating wires.
Recommendations from experts
The advice below comes from service professionals who install and set up television equipment. Thanks to these recommendations, the risk of hanging the TV on the wall incorrectly is minimized.
- The choice of the bracket must be carried out without fail, taking into account the weight and diagonal of the TV.
- When choosing a bracket with swivel and tilt elements, make sure that they are made of metal. Even the highest quality plastic can deteriorate over time.
- When installing the TV in a niche, make sure that it is sizes are stock. Otherwise, air circulation may be disturbed, which may affect the service life of the TV.
- Installation is carried out as follows: first, the bracket is attached to the wall, then the removable platform is attached to the TV, and only after that both elements are connected to each other. The last step is connecting the wires.
- If the bracket has swivel or tilt mechanisms, then make sure you have enough wires – they must not be stretched or bent if the position of the device is changed.
We make a bracket with our own hands
If you are not going to change its position during the operation of the TV set, then you can make a simple and inexpensive TV mount on the wall with your own hands.
To mount a device with a 32 or 42 inch screen, you will need to prepare 4 aluminum or steel corners (to be used in the manufacture of a TV bracket) and 1 spoke from a bicycle. It is recommended to use aluminum cornerbecause it is easier to handle. The dimensions of the segments are not important, the main thing is that the holes on the body of the device and on the corner match.
- Make 2 holes in the details for attaching to the unit, and in the upper part — one at a time, for the knitting needle. Attach the finished parts to the body of the TV receiver (using M4 screws).
- The remaining pair of parts should be mounted on the wall. First, you need to drill 2 holes in them for fastening to the wall (or more, depending on the size of the diagonal of the device and its weight) and one hole in the upper part of the part for inserting a knitting needle.
- After that, markings are made on the wall through the holes made. All holes in 4 pieces must be located strictly opposite each otherin order to avoid distortion of the device after installation.
- The distance between the corners should be slightly less than between the same parts on the unit, so that the latter wrap around the wall corners from the outside (when placing the TV mount on the wall, it is recommended to use a building level to accurately position the parts horizontally).
- Now you can hang the TV on the wall. To do this, you need to lift your 42 inch unit and align the mounts as shown in the figure, after which you need to insert the spoke. If there is no knitting needle, it can be replaced with a nail with a hat. For heavier machines, use thicker nails, eg 100 mm long. At this stage, mounting the TV on the wall with your own hands is finished.
To fix the parts on the wall, you can use plastic dowels of the desired diameter and length (depending on the weight of the unit).
Before attaching the TV to the wall, you need to decide on corner width. It should be such as to ensure normal ventilation between the wall and the TV receiver. Otherwise, your 42 inch TV will overheat, which will affect its lifespan. All wires, electrical and antenna, can be hidden in the cable channel.
Hanging TV on plasterboard wall
There are many opinions about how to fix a TV on a drywall wall. Some say that you can use a butterfly dowel, others — that this is not a reliable mount. From practice, it has been noticed that TV sets weighing no more than 15 kg (diagonal 42 inches) can be hung on a “butterfly”. This option can be used for a 32 or 42-inch wall-mounted TV. Otherwise, for TVs with a larger mass, there is a risk of destruction of drywall. For clarity, how to use the butterfly dowel, you can watch the video:
You can hang the TV on a drywall wall in a more reliable way: you should use a strong magnet to find the screws that fasten the sheet to the rails, and then attach the bracket to the metal profile. You can also hang the TV on a plasterboard wall using hairpin-screw.
Such an anchor as a fastening element can be screwed into both a concrete and a brick wall (after drilling a hole of the desired diameter). The length of the stud must be selected taking into account the distance of the drywall sheet from the main wall. The deeper the anchor is screwed into the brick or concrete, the more weight it can withstand, since the entire load will be on the load-bearing wall, and not on the facing sheet.
How to install a TV on the wall was discussed above. But what if the drywall sheet is used not as a cladding, but as a partition? Attaching an expensive device to such a plane is highly discouraged. In this case, the TV can be installed on a special rackshown in the figure below. A TV hung on a bracket in this way can be rotated in any direction (thanks to the rollers on the stand), that is, the entire structure becomes mobile.
Can be used to mount the TV to a plasterboard wall, screw to it pipes for mounting the bracket.
Another option on how to properly hang the TV on a fragile wall can be application of strip and laminated chipboard, which can be well fixed on it. And already on the strip, you can attach shelves, a bracket and install the device. With this option, you can hang panels of large sizes and large masses, for example, using 2 parallel strips of laminated chipboard.
If mounting the TV to a wall is not an option, then a ceiling mount is a good option.
Having considered various options for mounting a television receiver, one can understand that the main difficulty that a home master may face is drilling holes, choosing and using the correct fasteners. If you doubt your abilities, it is better to entrust the work to specialists.