When choosing between a laptop and a computer, many different aspects must be taken into account: the scope of use, the placement of accents in the selection of parameters, the required degree of device versatility, financial capabilities, etc. At the same time, in a general sense, it is impossible to answer which is better, a laptop or a computer. It’s like choosing between a vacuum cleaner and a mop. Both items serve the same purpose, but they are different. Also a laptop with a computer. It seems to be the same thing, but in fact, it is a technique that is quite different in purpose and capabilities.
A personal computer is a whole complex of hardware that works together. This is the system unit (in which most of the working components are located), as well as peripherals: monitor, keyboard, acoustics, mouse, etc. This implies the main drawback of this technique: the whole structure occupies an entire desktop. Nevertheless, many people opt for a PC when they have to decide what is more useful and necessary for them, a PC or a laptop.
- Desktop costs less. With equal characteristics and capabilities of devices, the difference in price will be in favor of the PC, and significant.
- Computer package can be assembled by yourself, according to your needs. You can type and combine everything, down to the smallest knots.
- A computer can be upgraded. If there is not enough memory, you can buy it in addition, if there is not enough power, change the board. With a small budget, a PC can be changed gradually, as far as possible, acquiring a more modern, functional computer over time.
- Desktop computer can be repaired. The block system allows you to easily diagnose problems, repair or change only a failed element, and not large components.
- The monitor can be just huge, up to 25 inches.
- Possibility TV tuner connection and using a computer as a TV.
- Here you can install professional units that require more energy and better cooling.
Of course, the PC is not without certain disadvantages.
- The desktop computer can work only from the network. This is the first minus, from which the second immediately follows: you must use a UPS to connect, otherwise there is a high probability of losing data during power surges.
- All components (or most) of the computer are connected to it wired connections. And this is a lot of connectors on all sides and a web of wires on the table, under the table, everywhere.
- A PC consumes significantly more power than a laptop.
- Required for a computer allocate space: table, shelves for peripheral equipment. Moreover, it must meet certain requirements: the angle of incidence of light for comfortable work, the presence of an outlet nearby, sufficient ventilation.
It is clear that choosing a laptop or a desktop computer should be based on whose advantages outweigh, and what disadvantages can be tolerated in a certain situation.
Advantages and disadvantages of laptops
This version of computer technology is implemented in a single, fairly compact unit, often in the form of a book. This is a portable computer that can work offline for a while.
The advantages of a laptop are obvious.
- Compact size and light weight. All components are in a single housing: there are no extra wires and connections.
- Mobility It is provided not only by a convenient size, but also by a built-in battery. The battery allows you to work without connecting to the network for up to several hours. It is possible to work at a computer in any convenient place. The laptop can catch the Internet in any place where there is Wi-Fi.
- energy efficiency (low power consumption) and silent operation.
There were no downsides either.
- «Hard» equipment is provided by the manufacturer, laptop almost impossible to upgrade. Replace the hard drive and add RAM — that’s probably all you can do with it.
- The laptop cannot be used with equipment or applications that require a lot of power and are therefore hot. Cooling capabilities on a portable device are very modest.
- Repair of such a device is expensive, it is often easier to buy a new one than to do something with the old one. This is due to the fact that all the elements are embedded in large units that can only be replaced as a whole.
Despite all the shortcomings, laptops are very popular with a wide range of users.
What is better to choose
When deciding what to buy, you need to analyze the issue in the context of subsequent use.
A laptop is better than a computer for simple tasks: working with files, viewing photos, videos at the «amateur» level, as well as in situations where a computer should always be at hand. A stationary computer is needed by specialists who solve complex technical problems, as well as avid gamers, as only he can cope with the tasks. Given that, with equal characteristics, a PC is cheaper than a laptop, the first one can be chosen for the home, if space allows.
Despite the fact that technology manufacturers try to please all their customers and create, among other things, laptops specifically for games, they still fall short of a PC in many ways. Even those decent video cards and memory sizes that are installed in gaming portable equipment cannot be compared in power with computer ones. Therefore, in a dispute between a gaming laptop or a computer, the PC definitely wins.
- The computer can even be understaffed synchronously with each new version of the game: it’s simple and inexpensive.
- PC cooling allows you to use powerful gaming equipment.
- A PC with a good graphics card, speed and memory will cost less than a laptop.
- Possibility connect big screensurround sound speaker system.
What is best for a job depends on its nature. For those who work at home or in the office, uses energy intensive applications, needs a constant connection to a printer, copier or other additional equipment, a desktop computer is better. These are engineers working in AutoCAD, photographers and editing specialists with their graphic applications, high requirements for the quality and size of the monitor, programmers.
If the professional activity is related to constant traveling, and the computer is required to cope with standard office programs and provide uninterrupted access to the Internet, then here, no doubt, you need a laptop. An example of such workers are teachers, purchasing and sales managers, lawyers.
For a student or schoolchild, it is better to buy a laptop that is simple in functionality and inexpensive. A small weight will also be relevant for the student in order to be able to wear it in pairs. The child will have enough of the possibilities of this technique.
- The laptop is lightweight, you can take it with you to study, to the library.
- Its power is enough to work with the Office, simple entertainment.
- Later, you still want to buy something more powerful and expensive.
- The use of technology by a child implies faster wear. An inexpensive laptop will work out its money during the study by 100%.
Advice! If the computer is purchased for a student who is studying for someone who needs a full desktop computer, then it is better to buy it right away.
When choosing a laptop or computer for the home, you also need to decide on the range of tasks to be solved. For whom and why do you need equipment, whether it will be working or just for entertainment, where it is more convenient to install it, or there is a need for mobility. In terms of saving space, it is better to take a laptop. It can be put away in the bedside table when not needed, carried around the house and used in any convenient place.
Advice! Another situation where you should pay attention to a laptop is if the workplace is in the bedroom, simply because it is quieter.
If space allows, it is better to choose a PC. It has great features, lower price. The flexibility of the desktop in terms of configuration is also captivating. home computer used for a very wide range of tasks: as a working, gaming, educational, home theater and TV. Therefore, the ability to retrofit it is a big plus.
Monoblock as an alternative to PC and laptop
A monoblock is a symbiosis of a desktop computer with a system unit and a laptop. From the laptop he took:
- compact size, all hardware is in a single case with a monitor (there is no system unit, all boards, cooling, memory — everything is behind the display);
- lack of wires;
- takes up little space on the table (the monoblock itself stands on the table like a monitor, only a little thicker), only a mouse and keyboard are additionally needed.
From the computer, the monoblock has:
- more upgrade options than a laptop;
- power and cooling capabilities are average, between a laptop and a PC;
- big screen;
- with equal characteristics and capabilities of three types of computers, a monoblock will have an average price between a laptop and a PC.
Disadvantages of monoblocks:
- there is no built-in battery, so this is a purely stationary device;
- if the internal stuffing can still be somehow changed, then the screen can only be the one that is.
Important! User reviews say that the monoblock no longer absorbed the advantages of a PC and laptop, but their shortcomings: this is not a computer with its power, capabilities, and not a laptop with its mobility.
However, they are often bought in offices where they work with clients: they look stylish compared to conventional PCs.