Summer is on the calendar, which means that the time has come for the bright sun, green grass, sea and vacation. Sunbathing stimulates the synthesis of vitamin D in the body, improves sleep and mood, helps fight depression, and additionally gives the skin a beautiful golden hue. Suntan hides imperfections and gives the skin a radiance, reminiscent of relaxation. However, an excess of sun threatens with burns, allergies, the appearance of pigmentation and photoaging. Thanks to the existence of products with SPF (from the English sun protection factor), you can no longer avoid the sun’s rays and make tanning safe.
When choosing a sun protection product, you may wonder which is better to choose — a spray or a cream? Factor 50 or 10? For face or body? The options are endless, but it’s worth remembering that, like all skin care products, the most suitable sunscreen is selected based on your skin type or area of application. So, a sunscreen for sensitive skin of a child is different from that intended for protection for adults, or a face cream from a body spray.
We have compiled a list of parameters by which you can choose the best sunscreen:
- The SPF is a number that indicates how long you can stay in the sun before sunburn occurs. For example, if you sunbathe for 10 minutes before your skin starts to burn, then a product with SPF 10 will increase the time of safe sun exposure by 10 times — 100 minutes, and with SPF 50 — up to 8 hours. Here it is important to take into account the recommended amount of application of the product — 2 milliliters per square centimeter of skin, in the case of a face cream, this is about how to squeeze the cream out of a tube to the length of a finger, for a baby spray — 2-3 teaspoons. Given that we often do not apply the product in such a dense layer on the skin, the time decreases in proportion to the decrease in the amount of the product. Therefore, reducing the application density, renew the protective layer every 1.5-2 hours of exposure to the sun.
- Method of application — means in an aerosol package allows you to apply the product from any position, which is especially convenient for hard-to-reach areas of the body, for example, the middle of the back. In most cases, the product in aerosol format is absorbed faster and does not leave a sticky feeling on the skin. Sprays allow you to easily and quickly distribute the emulsion, which is less dense in texture than the cream in tubes. The product in a plastic bottle or tube is cheaper and, due to the lack of a dosing mechanism, is more reliable in extraction. This cream is easier to provide a complete uniform coverage of your skin.
- Purpose of use — do you need a holiday cream or a daily product? If you’re heading to the beach, choose a waterproof product that absorbs quickly and is easy to renew, preferably in a spray or aerosol format. For daily application on the face when the body is covered with clothes, choose a cream that moisturizes and prevents wrinkles. And if you want to get a beautiful chocolate skin tone, try a tanning oil.
- Children — we will separately highlight this item. Children’s skin is different from that of an adult, babies do not have a fully developed sun protection mechanism, a thinner skin barrier and a tendency to irritate. Need a product with a maximum SPF that is fragrance and preservative free, ultra-water resistant, and pediatrician tested.
- Pack Size – It is important to reapply throughout the day, so choose a format that you can take with you. For example, for carry-on luggage, choose a small tube of cream 50 ml, and for a walk to the beach, a full-fledged 200 ml format.
- No dangerous filters — some sunscreens contain UV filters that are unsafe for the ocean ecosystem: Octinoxate, Oxybenzene and Octocrylene.
It is important to find a brand that you can trust with your health and with which your vacation will be unforgettable. NIVEA is the world’s #1* sun protection brand for adults and children and has been helping people take care of their skin for over 100 years.
The NIVEA range offers ultra-water resistant sunscreens for adults and children from 6 months, tan boosters and after sunbathing.
Sunscreens and sprays protect against excess ultraviolet radiation, moisturize the skin and prevent premature aging. In the line from NIVEA SUN you can find SPF 6, 30, 50 and 50+ products in the form of aerosols, sprays, bottles and tubes, as well as travel-friendly 50 and 100 ml formats.
*According to Euromonitor International Limited; NIVEA is the world’s No. 1 sun protection brand (including sun and after sun products, self-tanning products) by retail sales value in 2021. NIVEA in the children’s sun protection category; retail sales in monetary terms for 2021.