To make your assistant last as long as possible within the expiration date, we will reveal the secrets of choosing and caring for sponges.
It used to be said that beauty requires sacrifice, but now to create a charming evening look or the most natural look, you need something completely different — a set of sponges and high-quality cosmetics.
Makeup sponges are made from natural or synthetic materials. Without beauty blenders, it is impossible to evenly apply foundation, eye creams, powders and other contouring products.
Taste and color: varieties of sponges
There are a large number of accessories for applying decorative cosmetics on the market. Sponges differ in «origin», purpose, form (design). Our cheat sheet will help you make the right choice.
Materials used to make beauty blenders
- Biodegradable natural cellulose
Cellular sponges are characterized by high porosity, some roughness of the material, good wetting and foaming. They allow you to significantly save the cleanser. Of the shortcomings — not suitable for sensitive and irritated skin.
- Pressed tubers of Amorphophallus konjac
The structure is less porous than that of cellulose, springy and varies depending on the degree of wetting. Wet konjac sponge increases in size and becomes amorphous. Konjac sponge is ideal for cleansing even problematic skin, it is soft and does not contain dyes and fragrances.
- Foam rubber
Synthetic soft sponges for applying makeup are finely porous. They must be moistened in warm water and squeezed before use. Foam sponges are used to evenly distribute foundation.
A finely dispersed emulsion made from the juice of rubber plants is ideal for creating sponges that are pleasant to the touch with minimal pore size. Such sponges easily shade foundation, concealer and powder depending on the required coverage density.
The most modern material used in the manufacture of accessories for the application of cosmetics. The hypoallergenic silicone sponge is quite durable, consumes minimal funds, and washes well.
- Circle or oval
Sponges of this form, especially flat ones, are used to remove makeup. Volumetric round sponges are suitable for even application of foundation.
- triangle or square
Sponges with pointed corners are indispensable for working out the cheekbones, nasolabial folds, and the area around the eyes. Square flat sponges are very convenient to remove crumbled mascara or “leaky” shadows.
- heart, flower
The original shape of the sponge does not interfere with its immediate task. They are easy to perform the same manipulations as the usual square.
- Drop or egg
Perhaps the most versatile form of sponge. Drop-shaped beauty blenders are comfortable to hold in your hand and apply any cosmetics. Use the wide end of the sponge for the cheekbones, forehead, and chin, and the pointed end for the eyes and nose.
Proper use is the key to longevity
Sponges are used both wet and dry. It all depends on the material of the sponge and the required density of makeup application.
The dry method is as simple as possible, but leading makeup artists and beauty bloggers do not recommend using it:
- Applying a cosmetic product with a dry sponge spoils the product itself.
- So the sponge leaves traces, as after applying the brushes.
The wet method includes several steps:
- Immerse the sponge in a bowl of warm water
- Getting rid of excess fluid
- Applying cosmetics
- sponge cleansing
«Secret to the whole world»: beauty life hacks
On the one hand, everything is simple: wet the sponge with water, wring it out, scoop up the cream and apply it to the skin. However, it is important to do everything right, to avoid common mistakes.
- When removing excess moisture from the sponge, do not twist it or squeeze it too hard. It is enough to get wet with a towel.
- When applying cream or powder, use the «driving in» technique. Stroking will only spoil makeup, sponge and mood.
- It is better to wash the sponge after each use, or a maximum of two uses. The old advice to clean the sponge once a week is no longer relevant. During this time, pathogenic microflora will grow inside the sponge.
- Sponge cleansing begins with soaking in warm water (30-40°C). Then they are washed by hand using baby soap (squeeze and unclench the sponge), or washed in a typewriter, after putting the beauty blenders in a white sock.
- Sponges are stored in an ajar cosmetic bag or a special case in a room with high humidity.
Tip for reuse: if one sponge «fails» (for example, it breaks, or the expiration date goes), it can be used for children’s creativity or original manicure.
Ideally, the sponges should be changed once a month with proper care. Makeup artists advise buying sets of sponge drops. Universal sponges, suitable for any cosmetic procedure, usually pack 4 pieces in different sizes and colors. A nice bonus is the container. So the sponges will not get lost and will always be clean.