How to choose the right muzzle
We all know that for a safe walk with your pet, you will need some protective accessories so that in which case your dog cannot harm others. Therefore, I want to talk a little about how to choose the right muzzle, why and why you need it.
What is a muzzle for?
Many dog owners wonder why a muzzle is needed, explaining their opinion by the fact that their pet is not capable of aggression and is trained. Some breeders generally believe that such an accessory should only be worn by representatives of large aggressive breeds, while small, seemingly safe and harmless dogs can safely go for a walk without it. Here I can argue and say that even such cute little dogs can lead to unforeseen consequences and become a real threat to the life and health of the same children who often strive to pet the animal without the permission of the owner.
There are several reasons why walking with a pet can be dangerous and undesirable without a muzzle:
- without a muzzle, a dog can often unintentionally startle others.
- in no case allow picking up various foodstuffs from the ground or the floor, poison, which is often planted by «dog hunters» when fighting bloodless animals.
- it is necessary to ensure a measured, safe trip with a dog in social transport, protecting people around from unwanted contact with a protective accessory.
Types of muzzles
Nowadays, on the Internet, there is an unlimited selection of various accessories and products for animals, which differ in size, quality, material and function. To make the right choice, you should first understand the features of the product, find out all the pros and cons about it.
Such a leather accessory is in great demand among dog owners and is always relevant. I want to note several advantages and pluses of this product made of genuine leather:
- light weight;
- neat design;
- the material does not rub, does not press;
- ensure adequate ventilation of the product.
Features of the product made of artificial material:
- despite the outward resemblance of leatherette and genuine leather and the low cost of the first material, the artificial substitute quickly becomes unusable and can cause allergies;
- creases may form on the product;
- the material is prone to drying out and cracking.
I will not be silent about the fact that real leather accessories are more expensive than artificial ones, which is justified by their quality — durability, hypoallergenicity, and a service life of several years.
This muzzle model is designed for aggressive and large breeds of dogs with quite a lot of physical strength. such an accessory will provide you with the maximum level of protection in case of danger and threat. The advantages include:
- excellent ventilation;
- hypo allergenicity;
- easy care;
- good fixation of the jaws — the animal will not be able to bite or pick up leftover food from the ground;
- you can give the dog water for a walk;
- long service life.
- in winter, metal can cause injury to the animal when it comes into contact with the tongue or nose;
- the use of metal makes the product heavier;
- no models for small breeds
Experts offer such an accessory to dogs with a balanced disposition and a calm character. Also, the mass of the product and its price are less than analogues made of metal.
- the dog does not have the ability to pick up food from the ground;
- the animal can be drunk;
- sufficient air flow is ensured;
- light weight;
- frostbite in frosty weather is excluded.
- provides an average level of protection, not suitable for large breeds prone to aggression;
- plastic may crack during prolonged use or under the influence of low temperature.
A nylon muzzle is the most suitable option for the comfort of the dog and the safety of others. Nylon products are recommended for small or medium-sized dogs. It is worth wearing them for a visit to the veterinarian, haircuts, bathing and other procedures that your pet does not like.
- light weight — the accessory can be worn on miniature, decorative breeds, without fear that the product will interfere, rub or distract from a walk;
- practicality — the product is easy to clean from dirt, can be washed;
- durability — the material provides long-term operation, subject to proper use.
- insufficient air access, which makes it impossible to wear the accessory for a long time;
- it is undesirable to wear the product in hot weather;
- insufficient reliability — an aggressive dog can easily get rid of an uncomfortable accessory;
- even with such ammunition, the dog will pick up food and garbage from the ground.
The halter is a useful accessory for correcting your dog’s behavior. With him, we are quite simple and, most importantly, safely and painlessly for the dog, wean it from pulling the leash.
- low price;
- simple design;
- light weight.
Of the minuses, it is necessary to indicate poor fixation and difficulty in properly dressing the accessory.
How to choose
Now you know about the advantages of the presented muzzles and you can choose the option that suits you. The most important thing when choosing an accessory is to clearly assess the nature of your pet, first you need to determine its weight and know for what purpose you need a muzzle. Here are some tips for using muzzles according to the situation:
- you should start with inexpensive nylon models;
- for trips in public transport, you can choose the option of plastic or nylon, for aggressive dogs it is better to buy a reliable accessory made of leather or metal;
- to go to the veterinarian for an examination or during painful manipulations, you will need a product that corresponds to the level of aggression and pain threshold of the dog;
- for a walk, choose a model that will not interfere with normal breathing, will not allow you to pick up leftover food or harm others.
If you find it difficult to decide or if you doubt that you can choose the right size yourself, seek help from specialists or consult a veterinarian.
How to choose the right size
The length of the muzzle — step back from the eyes 1 cm and measure the distance to the tip of the nose.
Muzzle circumference — girth at the widest part + 2 cm
It is important to know that the dog should be able to open its mouth slightly in the muzzle, and the cooling of the body occurs precisely through this part of the animal’s body.