The birth of a child is a very difficult, but still joyful process. When a small bundle of happiness is in your hands, you want to exhale and enjoy the sweetest moments.
But after a couple of days (usually from 2 to 5), the mother is faced with breasts bursting from the arrival of milk. At first you wait for milk, like a miracle, and then you don’t know what to do with it.
Don’t worry, milk will come to everyone and when it happens, you need to be fully armed. Many people think that this is a natural process, everything will go easily and smoothly. Actually, this happens to many mothers, but some have to face a huge problem.
Based on official modern sources, the experience of mothers, as well as the advice of breastfeeding consultants, we have identified a working method for removing stone breasts. It is necessary not to be lazy, but to repeat simple actions several times over the points.
We recommend that you think about it in advance so that the first days with the baby remain unforgettably pleasant for you.
Catch a step by step ALGORITHM:
1. First of all, check the areola (peripapillary part). Most likely, pressing it will be very painful, it is inelastic and crowded. You need to open the way for milk, using the technique of softening the areola with pressure.
At least 1 minute, if the engorgement is more severe — both 2 and 3 minutes.
Gently and painlessly press the excess swelling inward with your fingers (as shown in the figure). For a while, the areola again becomes soft and elastic, the nipple is more pronounced. A baby or a breast pump can suckle and you can get milk.
2. A MANDATORY item is lymphatic drainage massage (minimum 15 minutes).
We lay on the back. Under the shoulder blades — a pillow — so that the chest is even higher.
We throw the hand from the side of the chest with which we plan to work to the side.
Several times, with the edge of the palm, gently stroke the breast from the nipple towards the subclavian lymph nodes — i.e. to the collarbone, and to the axillary — to the armpit. Movement — as if dispersing water.
The goal is to preliminarily “disperse” the edema. It is he who gives pain and stoneness, and not milk itself.
3. After that — repeat the pressure softening — put your fingers around the areola and hold the «chamomile» (as in the first picture). At least one minute, longer if necessary. You will feel how the areola becomes softer, as if the fingers fall deeper.
Areola quite soft and painless when squeezed? That’s all, you can apply the baby or express with a breast pump if he still sucks badly.
By the way, try to apply the baby in a position on top of the mother (mom half-sitting), this is a good option to further remove puffiness. And the baby’s own reflexes work so more efficiently.
Did you know that if you put it between the breasts, the baby will find the nipple by itself? And more likely to apply correctly.
4. To reduce swelling between feedings, dry cold can be applied to the chest — cool, an ice pack or frozen vegetables — always wrapped in a towel! — for 15-20 minutes. This will not “chill” the chest, but it will help to relieve puffiness very well. Also, ointment — Traumeel has proven itself well.
5. Don’t forget to drink when you’re thirsty. We can’t get dehydrated. Also, eat whatever you want. Be sure to eat right and varied.
6. Do not forget that the chest should not rest!
If the child ate, ate, fell asleep, and the chest is still full and uncomfortable, you can additionally help yourself using your hands or a breast pump. We do not strain to the end, but until relief, only to relieve discomfort.
7. If the baby is very lethargic, sleepy, losing weight — it may make sense to collect the expressed milk and give it to him from a spoon or from a syringe without a needle. No need to weigh the baby before and after feeding. It is better to weigh it once a week.
We hope that following our checklist, you will spend the first days with your baby, enjoying every minute!
We advise you to take a closer look at the models of the breast pump in advance, so that later you do not have to run to the pharmacy or store. There, take the first one that comes across and overpay a lot of money.
With our electric cordless breast pumps, you can pump continuously for 180 minutes anywhere, anytime.
Three pumping modes and 9 suction levels ensure efficient pumping.
Health to you and easy breastfeeding!