It is always nice to see how an old thing is updated, acquires a new look and attractive appearance. Painting a heating radiator is a good idea if you are not going to change it, but you need to decorate it.
Even modern bimetallic radiators, which are painted in production, rarely fit well into the interior. Traditionally, they are white, easy to care for, but boring. Therefore, often the owners decide to close them with a screen. But you can go the other way and paint the radiator in a bright color. This will not affect its properties to heat the room. At the same time, as the designers assure, a dark or bright radiator visually seems warmer and gives the room a special coziness.
You can paint old cast iron, aluminum, steel radiators. The paint must be exactly for the metal and heat-resistant. Alkyd enamels have proven themselves well, but you can take oil-based and even water-based paint if it is indicated on the can that it is heat-resistant, can resist corrosion and is also intended for use on metal surfaces.
It is best to paint the radiator, of course, during the warm season, when the heating in the apartment or house is turned off. Videale, of course, it is better to remove it from the wall and take it outside to paint it from all sides without fear of spoiling other finishes. But in general, if it is possible to close the valve and stop the supply of coolant to the heating battery, this can be done indoors, without removing it, and during the heating season.
The process looks like this:
- Use masking tape to protect the bleed valve and other parts of the radiator that should not be painted over. If you paint without removing the battery, then you need to protect nearby sections of the wall with tape so as not to spoil, for example, wallpaper.
- Clean the radiator. Rough cleaning of old paint is done using a metal brush, more accurate — with sandpaper of different grain sizes.
- Then it is advisable to wash the radiator with a damp cloth to remove sanding dust. Let it dry completely.
- The entire surface is necessarily primed so that the paint does not peel off later. A special primer for metal is used, there are aerosol formulations that are easier to apply.
- Painting is carried out directly. As the portal Rmnt.ru already wrote, it is convenient to use a radiator brush with a long handle and a working part located slightly at an angle. With a regular brush, you can paint surfaces that are easy to reach.
After finishing work, the masking tape is removed. Allow the radiator to dry completely before turning it on.
Can a spray gun be used? Of course, if you have the opportunity to either remove the radiator and take it outside, or securely protect the wall around and behind the heating device. With an airbrush, the process will be faster, and the paint will fall wherever needed, in an even layer. By the way, in the case of painting smooth steel, there is a risk that the paint will drain. Allow the first to dry before applying the second layer.
The process of painting a heating radiator is simple, any homeowner can handle it. The appearance of the battery will be much more attractive, it will last a few more years without losing its properties.